Friday, December 18, 2015

The One Where We Got the Nintendo

It was the Christmas we went to Ohio. My parents drove through the night, and put Baby Eileen's car seat in the front seat between them, so that Patrick and I could sleep in the back. One of us slept on the bench seat, one of us on the floor with pillows stuffed around that hump in the middle of the car. I remember stopping at a rest stop and putting on our coats to go use the bathroom and it was that bitter winter cold that is only found in Ohio. It was on this trip that we first heard the song, "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer", and Patrick and I laughed so hard! It was the funniest song we had ever heard!
 
For weeks leading up to the trip, my parents told Patrick and I that they had bought us one big gift to share. They reiterated this many times, making sure that we would not be disappointed over opening one shared gift. We were excited, and over and over again said that we would not be disappointed, that we wanted the big shared present. Keep in mind that my parents were poor. We were not allowed to ask for things at the grocery store, where the cheapest of everything was bought. Back then, squeeze bottles of ketchup were new, so my mom would buy ketchup sold in the cheaper glass bottle and pour it into the same reused squeeze bottle at home. (They don't love me telling that, but rest assured that they can afford squeeze bottle ketchup now.) But for you to realize how big our shared present was, you have to realize that they couldn't afford the extra 10 cents for squeeze bottle ketchup.

We couldn't imagine what our big shared present would be, but I guessed it would be a large item. By the time Mom and Dad were telling us about the Most Amazing Shared Present, we had long since forgotten the garage sale in the basement of the duplex next door, where our neighbor had been selling a Nintendo for $50, half the retail price. I remember that Patrick and I pointed out the bargain to my parents. Note that we did not *ask* for the Nintendo, because we were not supposed to ask for things. Instead we used our skills of giving hints, such as, "Look at this Nintendo", subtly admire it, keep walking. We knew there was no way that they were going to get us a Nintendo, we weren't crazy.

So there we were in Ohio, all the presents having been opened, and my parents asked if we were ready to open The Shared Present. It seems like they even went to get it out of a closet. Then they presented us with a teeny tiny box, about the size of a business card, wrapped. We were so confused, because how could our shared present be in such a small box? When we opened it, we found a picture of a Nintendo, clipped from an ad. We were so excited! I don't remember anything of the drive home, perhaps because we were looking forward to playing Super Mario Bros. I do remember that as soon as we walked in the door, Dad immediately set it up for us, even though it was past our bedtime.

The Nintendo itself was a fantastic present, as well as the hype that led up to it. But what I love best about this Christmas memory was how much it cost my parents: a fortune.

No comments:

Post a Comment